Help Navigating The Custody Modification Process

As your child grows up after an initial custody agreement, it is almost certain that circumstances will change, requiring custody modifications. That is why the law allows for this under certain situations, generally a substantial change in circumstances, and always, that it is in the best interests of the child.

If you require a child custody modification, the skilled Georgia lawyers at The Law Offices of Abbott & Abbott P.C. have local experience in this area. Our team is able to provide you with catered legal representation for this particular area of Georgia, using our experience and extensive knowledge of the local court systems and judges. This is very important to any family law matter in any county in Georgia, as your attorney should be familiar not only with the law but also with the local procedures.

Helping Clients Regarding Child Modification Family Law Matters

One of the most common questions parents come to us with regarding child custody modifications, is how long will it take? This largely depends on whether the change is contested or not. If uncontested, the modification can be filed with the court faster. However, if contested, there is need for additional negotiation, mediation and possibly litigation. No matter what type of situation your case ends up in, rest assured we are highly experienced in handling any of them.

Common reasons for a child custody modification include:

  • The custodial parent requesting to relocate out-of-state
  • The noncustodial parent requesting to relocate out-of-state
  • Change in job, termination, layoff
  • Illness, accident or injury (either the child or the parent)
  • The child (at least 14 years of age) elects to change primary custody
  • Substance abuse issues such as drugs or alcohol
  • Domestic violence (requires immediate attention)

Contact Us With Your Modification Questions

Seek legal counsel now for all your divorce and family law matters. For a consultation contact us today. We accept all major credit cards.