Family Law FAQs And Answers From Our Lawyers

Understandably, this is a difficult time for you and your family as you try to navigate the unfamiliar territory of the Georgia family law legal system. At The Law Offices of Abbott & Abbott, P.C., our family law attorneys are ready to help and guide you every step of the way. With over 30 years of combined experience, we can help you achieve swift resolutions that set the foundations for the next chapter in your life.

Whether you are seeking a divorce, require counsel for a contempt action, or need to modify an agreement, we are here to provide you with the best options for your particular situation. Our family law firm believes that every family is unique and deserves catered and individualized family law representation.

FAQs About Fulton County, Cherokee County And Cobb County Family Law Matters

What is A Status Hearing?

In order to facilitate the main goals in efficient and amicable resolutions of family law matters, every divorce case in Fulton County is required to have a monthly status hearing. The first hearing is 30 days after initial filing, the second hearing is 60 days after and the third is 120 days after. The parties, the attorneys and the judge or judicial officer presiding over the case meet each time to discuss the latest updates and a possible resolution to the entire divorce. This helps expedite the divorce process whenever possible.

Is Mediation Required For All Divorce Cases?

Mediation is court-mandated in every contested divorce prior to the final divorce proceeding. This is yet another step to increase the number of efficient and noncontentious divorce cases.

Isn't It Better To Go To Trial?

Every divorce situation is different and unique. Almost all cases are better off being resolved through mediation and negotiation methods. However, there are cases in which the only way to come to an agreement on all divorce issues is through trial.

Does It Matter That My Spouse Cheated On Me?

Georgia is different from other states in that adultery does affect certain aspects of a divorce. Adultery is an automatic bar to alimony.

What Happens After The Divorce Is Finalized?

Once a divorce decree is finalized by the judge, both ex-spouses must comply fully with the agreement. Modifications can only be made if there is a material change in circumstances. In child custody agreements, the change must also be in the best interest of the child.

What If My Ex-Spouse Refuses To Comply With The Divorce Decree?

If you find that your ex-spouse is in full or partial noncompliance of any aspect of your divorce agreement, he or she could be held in contempt of court. This is punishable by fines, attorneys' fees and even jail time.

Contact Us For A Consultation

Seek family law representation now for all your divorce and family law matters. Contact us in Marietta, at 678-905-8781, Canton at 678-792-4908 or toll free at 678-905-8781. We accept all major credit cards.